Monday, May 25, 2009

A beginning of sorts

For a long time now I have avoided having a blog. I don't know why exactly, but it rubbed me the wrong way. I often read other blogs and have enjoyed them, but having one of my own has never seemed like a good idea. 

Why the change of heart? 

Well, I'm not sure exactly. Perhaps it's out of boredom. I have a very boring and terrible job that I'm trying to get out of as soon as possible and this might help pass the time. Basically I never liked the idea of an online journal or diary and felt a blog often turned into that. I don't feel the need to tell everyone everything that has happened to me or to try and mold or shape my life into something it isn't. This is why I have avoided blogging for the most part, but now I have come to a new conclusion: a blog with a purpose, a direction. 

This blog will be devoted to my own thoughts, musings, and ideas about poetry. It will not be a place to publish my work but rather a place to talk about my work, my questions or confusions about poetry, and thoughts on poetry I'm reading at the time. This seems like a good step for me, as I have now been out of graduate school for a year and I miss discussing the poetry world.

I will post from time to time (I don't know the frequency), but I'm hoping to keep this up for awhile and see where it takes me. I might surprise myself and post daily, but who really knows? 
I will also use this as a promotional tool for my own creative work. I'll provide links to published poems and announce when new things have been released in print. 

The title for my blog comes from Frank O'Hara's poem "Joe's Jacket." Check it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment