Sunday, November 8, 2009

New Publication: Redheaded Stepchild

I am pleased to announce the publication of my poem "If you were Jackson Pollock and Jackson Pollock painted nudes" in the Winter 09 issue of Redheaded Stepchild. For those who do not know, Redheaded Stepchild is a great online magazine that only accepts poems that have already been rejected from other magazines. It is a very clever idea with a very clever name. 

My poem has been rejected from a number of places, which is why it is very exciting to finally see it in print. I wrote the poem during my second year of Grad school, which would be nearly three years ago at this point. The poem was inspired partly by my love of Frank O'Hara who loved Jackson Pollock and often wrote poems about him. It is also inspired by my interest in Pollock and his work. I remember the first time I saw a Pollock in person. I was in London in 2003 and was blown away by it. He's a fascinating figure. The sexiness of the poem is in part due to the film Pollock and my slight crush on Ed Harris. 

Regardless, I'm happy to have the poem out there and hope you will enjoy reading it. 

-Stephen (Redheaded) 

1 comment: