Friday, January 1, 2010

2010: The Year I Will...

I'm not one for making resolutions. I've never really liked the concept, because behind it there seems to be the nagging idea that you won't actually keep any of these resolutions. It's part of the whole process: Make resolutions on January 1st and break them by February or March. Therefore, this blog post is not resolutions (I'm not silly enough to say I'm going to work out more or drink less), but this post is goals or promises to myself that I will keep. I'm putting them in writing here to help ensure that I will do them or at least do everything in my power to attempt to make them happen.

-Finish my Edmon sequence of poems. This is a project I began in the Summer of 2009 and have been continuing to work on. I have nine poems so far in the sequence and about three or four more that I want to write to complete it.

-Read more. In the last year I have read less than many previous years. This was, in part, due to having a full time job, but also because I devoted a good portion of my free time to writing. By the end of 2010 I want to have read more than I did in 2009. I'm purposely not setting a number.

-Keep up with my writing. In 2009 I set aside at least one morning of my weekend to write poetry (normally Sundays). I want to keep this schedule up and stay as prolific as I was in 2009.

-Write more blog posts! I know I did very well in December. This was because I did the top 10 lists, which were easy to come up with topics for, but took rather long to write. My goal for 2010 is to write at least two blog posts a week. I've enjoyed having this blog, because it pushes me to write prose and will keep it up.

-Make podcasts of some of my poems. I have been wanting to do this for awhile and 2010 will be the year I will. This is something I would post on my blog and it would be either just audio or a video of me reading one of my poems. I think this is a great way to share work without having to actually publish the poem on my blog.

-Pay down credit cards. I only have two and they were used mostly for the six months in 2008 that I was unemployed. I haven't gotten them paid down too much and I know I need to, especially because Dustin and I would like to move out of Orlando sometime in the near future.

-Publish more. 2009 was my best publishing year ever and I hope 2010 will beat it. On top of getting individual poems published, I would love to get a chapbook or my full length manuscript accepted for publication.

For now these are my goals and I'll keep you posted, right here on this blog, if I meet them. I'm looking forward to this new year and the start of a new decade. I already know the beginning will be amazing. Dustin and I leave on a 7 day gay cruise in just two weeks and I have work forthcoming in about three or four journals that should be publishing in the first month or two of 2010.

Here's to a new year and to keeping promises!

-Stephen (2010 Welcome Wagon)

1 comment:

  1. I would love to hear you read some of your poetry. Podcasts sound amazing.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete