Sunday, February 28, 2010

Podcast 7: Seven Years And Still No Birthday Gift From Your Parents

This week I am reading a newer poem of mine entitled "Seven Years And Still No Birthday Gift From Your Parents." I wrote the first draft of this poem following my 27th birthday last November.

For a long time, I've had the desire to write a good birthday poem. This desire mostly stems from my love of Frank O'Hara. O'Hara wrote many poems that involved birthdays. He often wrote poems as gifts (not sure my friends would approve). Birthdays often allow for a great discussion about time and what we have accomplished or not accomplished. While birthdays are often seen as celebrations they can have a dark edge to them.

My poem focuses on recognition and acknowledgement that is often lacking for gay people. For the last seven birthdays I haven't received a gift, a card, or any form of a "happy birthday" from Dustin's parents. I'm not even sure they remember when my birthday is, though Dustin has told them many times. This past Christmas, was in fact the first time my name was on the Christmas card, which is strange because I had just written a draft of this poem and then they go and do that. It was a step, but a small one since this was our seventh Christmas together.

Regardless, I got a poem I'm pretty happy with out of it.


-Stephen (Gift-less)

3 comments:

  1. This is a really great poem, and I love how you read it. I'm really enjoying the podcasting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to this poem. But.. maybe more from Dustin's side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks V! I'm liking the podcasting too. It's a good way to share work and I'm hoping overtime it will get me better at reading my work.

    ReplyDelete