Friday, April 9, 2010

IndieFeed Performance Poetry Channel: My Episode

About two months ago, I got an email from one of the editors of PANK Magazine, Roxane Gay, and in the email she asked me to be one of three poets to represent PANK on the IndieFeed Performance Poetry Channel. IndieFeed had decided to name April Literary Magazine Appreciation Month and wanted to featured PANK.

It is now April and the appreciation has begun. IndieFeed chose just four journals to feature and three poets from each journal. PANK is the first magazine being honored and my episode was published today. I am the last episode from PANK, so I encourage you to go check out the other two fine poets featured with me. Their episodes were published on Monday and Wednesday of this week.

In my episode I read my poem "Sleeping with Peter Pan," which was originally published in PANK in February of 2009. I don't consider myself a performance poet or a spoken word poet, but I do think reciting your work and learning to do it in effect ways can reach a whole new audience. So far this year, I have devoted Sundays to doing podcasts and I think I'm getting better with each week (I hope you agree).

I want to send my sincere thanks to Roxane Gay, who has been amazing. I got published in PANK over a year ago and she has continued to nominate my work, support my work, and promote my work. I have never worked with an editor who has been so gracious and so helpful. If I had been able to go to AWP, I would have found her and personally thanked her. I encourage you, wholeheartedly, to read PANK, submit to PANK, and to buy PANK. They are both an online and print journal. I also want to express my gratitude to IndieFeed Performance Poetry Channel and to Cristin O'Keefe Aptowicz (the host for the month). They created a kick-ass episode and made me a big fan of their website.

If you want to hear my episode go here. Or you can search for IndieFeed Performance Poetry Channel on itunes and subscribe to their podcasts.

-Stephen (Humble)

2 comments:

  1. Good reading and a good poem. (Which then had me checking out PANK and your other work, so I think your reading succeeded.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron,

    Thanks! I'm glad to hear it. PANK is great. Thanks for reading, listening, and commenting.

    -Stephen

    ReplyDelete