Sunday, April 11, 2010

Podcast 11: Tony Hoagland

It is podcast Sunday and National Poetry Month, which means this week's podcast is devoted to another poet who has greatly influenced me. This week I recorded two poems by Tony Hoagland. I have written a bit about Hoagland various times on this blog. He is a great contemporary poet that challenges me and pushes me to be a better writer.

What I love about Hoagland is his ability to examine masculinity in both a humorous way and a thought provoking way. Hoagland is a straight man, but sometimes writes about gay men or about straight male homophobia. Many of his poems deal with male friendship and what it is like to be a man in the 20th, and now 21st, century.

In this podcast I read two of his poems. The first is entitled "Poem For Men Only," which deals with the relationships of boys and their fathers. The second is entitled "One Season," which demonstrates how Hoagland deals with gay issues (in this case being called a "faggot").

Hoagland has published many great books and I encourage you to check them out.


-Stephen (Male)

3 comments:

  1. I just purchased Hoagland's latest book, "Unincorporated Persons in the Late Honda Dynasty." I'm so glad you brought me to him, because his poetry is excellent. I don't know why I thought he was gay. I thought he was gay when I ordered his book, and as I was reading it, some poems affirmed my belief, but then he'd write about a woman. About going on a date with a woman. Loving a woman. And I'd scratch my head. It's to his credit he can write with such flexibility and, at times, ambiguity. The fact that he's straight makes me appreciate him even more. Another excellent podcast, SSM. Your voice is melodic and makes me happy. The way your photo is set up makes the listener really feel as if you're speaking directly to them (me). Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bryan! Hoagland is great and I think he's a useful poet to read for those of us who like to write very narrative poems about current times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony Hoagland is the mothefucking MAN. That is all. :D

    ReplyDelete