Sunday, May 9, 2010

Podcast 15: An Obituary for My Mother Who Did Not Die in the Richmond, Indiana Explosion, 1968

Today is Mother's Day, so I figured it's appropriate to share a poem based on my mother. This poem is part of a short sequence of obituary poems that I wrote for people who have not died. This is actually the first one I wrote. It was published in the fall 2008 issue of Broken Bridge Review.

The poem uses a real event that happened in my hometown (Richmond, Indiana) in 1968. There was a gas leak downtown that caused an explosion that killed 41 people and my mother, a young girl at the time, had just left the area where the explosion took place.

This poem is a great example of what I was discussing in my last post about the combination of fact and fiction. This poem blends the two very well.


-Stephen (Happy Mother's Day)

1 comment: