Sunday, December 12, 2010

Podcast 29: For Lily

Almost a year ago, I challenged myself to start doing poetry podcasts on my blog and I'm happy to report that, while I haven't done them every single week, I have kept up with the project. The year is almost over and today I am posting my 29th podcast.

Today's podcast is extra special to me and a slightly different kind of poem for my other work. It is still very "Stephen," but deals with a child, which I don't typically write about. The poem is called "For Lily" and I wrote it right after Christmas three year ago. I was visiting my sister for Christmas and my niece, who was just two at the time, had just learned how to say, "I love you."

I'm not a big kid person and I have no desire to have children myself, but I love my niece and being around her always makes me very aware of language and how we learn to be human. The poem explores the idea of curiosity and also those first moments of figuring out what words mean and how that changes with age. I feel it is a fitting poem for December and this time of year. Lily has grown into a wonderful little girl and she absolutely loves to read, which makes her uncle very happy.

I hope you will enjoy listening to it.

Listen here.

-Stephen (love)

No comments:

Post a Comment