Sunday, January 9, 2011

Podcast 31: Holding Hands Outside a Pro-Family Rally with my Seed Inside You

Today I am posting my first poetry podcast of 2011 and it is a recording of a brand new poem. I rarely share a poem this soon after writing it, but it felt right to post it today. The poem is entitled "Holding Hands Outside a Pro-Family Rally with my Seed Inside You." It is a poem I immediately felt good about after writing the first draft, which is rare.

It felt like an appropriate poem for today because of the shooting that happened yesterday in Arizona. I've been carefully following the story and have been really sickened by the whole event. If you don't know all the details, basically a gunman opened fire at a political gathering outside a grocery store in Tucson. U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot in the head, but is still alive at the moment. I believe six others are dead and many wounded. The gunman was caught and not a lot has been released about his particular motives, but he has posted various videos online disagreeing with the government.

What this event highlights is a ongoing problem we are facing in America. I've mentioned this many times recently, but we've truly forgotten how to disagree and share our viewpoints. Our political leaders and the media are greatly at fault for spreading hate speech and promoting screaming and fighting over actual fact and true debate. I'm not an overly paranoid person, but I am truly fearful of this militant and fundamentalist movement in the country and I think it is only going to get worse.

My poem today is about a political issue and about peacefully protesting outside a pro-family rally. No matter how we feel about various issues, we must be able to disagree and discuss them in a civil and appropriate way. For me, poetry is a way to fight back and to share my views and to hopefully make people think.

As I was writing this poem, I also had a revelation about my work and created the term "vulgarly sweet" to describe many of my poems (this one included). I often attempt to take something many would call vulgar (i.e. cum in someone's ass) and make it meaningful and kind of sweet. I think I'm going to write a more detailed post about this soon. For now, I hope you will enjoy listening to my first poem of 2011.


-Stephen (Peace)

2 comments: