Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Podcast 35: He Do the Gay Man in Different Voices

Since it is National Poetry Month, I challenged myself to record one of my longer poems and luckily it turned out pretty well and I got it in one recording, which is very rare. This podcast is a reading of my poem "He Do the Gay Man in Different Voices." I know it is not podcast Sunday, but since it is National Poetry Month, I felt a poetry podcast was appropriate for any day of the week.

This poem means a lot to me and helped create a new manuscript that I hope will become my first book. "He Do the Gay Man in Different Voices" is a seven page poem that references "The Waste Land" by T.S. Eliot. You don't have to be super familiar with Eliot's poem to understand my poem, but it does make it richer. My poem is also inspired by an art project, which was posted on the website "The Body: Visual AIDS." Each month they post a gallery with a theme. In December of 2005, they posted a series called "The Damaged Narcissist" and these images greatly influenced this poem.

"He Do the Gay Man in Different Voices" is a poem that, as the title suggests, changes from one voice to another. It is divided into seven sections and explores different aspects of the gay male experience. The poem is a good example of what I've been doing in the last year with my work. I've been turning more toward the longer poem and exploring what exactly I can accomplish with more space.

I hope you will enjoy listening to this poem. I will warn you that it is 18 minutes long, so be prepared.

Listen here.

-Stephen (Podman)

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking some about what you've been talking about, writing longer and in new directions, using different means. I think I finally understand you, at least a little, now, thanks to this piece. Which also reminds me a little bit of Sam Shepard's amazing short play he wrote for Joseph Chaikin to perform, "Tongues." I mean the comparison in a very positive way, just to be clear.

    This morning I found myself writing a poem in a more prose-poem like style I've been using for about a year. Then it veered off to become an aubade that surprised me, both in its making and in its subject matter. Who knew paperwork could be so romantic? :) I just mention this because the experience made me think of what you've been saying about your own writing. Thanks for triggering some insights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art,

    Thanks for the kind message. I'm glad I helped trigger something and I appreciate the nice comments about my poem.

    ReplyDelete