Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Poet Talks to Himself

Since the year began, I have devoted one post a month to interviewing other GLBT poets. It has been a very successful and fun process. I love talking with these poets and sharing their thoughts and work with my readers. If you haven't checked out my past interviews, click the "interview series" tab at the top of the page and check them out.

I always end my interviews by asking a series of more light-hearted questions and I thought, since it is National Poetry Month, I would devote a post to answering my own fun questions. Just to be clear this is not my official interview for April (that would be a little vain, wouldn't it?). This is just for fun and to give you a little more insight into me.

If you could have sex with one poet, dead or alive, who would it be? And what kind of sex would you have?

This is perhaps my favorite question to ask, because I'm kinky that way. While there are so many of you I would like to have sex with, my first choice would have to be Frank O'Hara. Was he the most attractive guy in the world? No, but he gets me going and I bet he was pretty good in bed. Our sex would be like his poems: very public and might include some of his friends. I imagine a walking sex poem where we would duck into alley ways, bathrooms, museums, and libraries. I imagine he would whisper witty things into my ear and we'd make a day of it. At night, we'd come back to his apartment and I'd lay naked in his bed and he'd write a poem about our day and all the amazing sex we had along the way. I'd fall asleep to the keys of his typewriter.

What is one poem that you think is so great that you totally wish you had written it?

This is a really hard question, because I fall in love with so many poems and often when I read one that moves me I think, "damn, I wish I had written that." My answer would probably change daily, but since I'm forcing myself to answer today on April 14th, 2011, I am going to say Barbara Hamby's "The Dream of the Red Drink." This poem is in her book The Alphabet of Desire and ever since I read it, I can't forget it. I actually come back and read it every couple of months. I'm not even sure I can pinpoint exactly why, but it connects with me and what I try to accomplish in my own work. The poem has grand ideas behind it, but is grounded in something very real and relatable. I love how she weaves together this tale of this party with these thoughts about death and time. It truly hits me in my poetic core.

What is something that you absolutely love that would surprise most people?

I am a pretty open person on my blog, so it is tough to think of something that would truly surprise you. Instead of saying something I love currently, I am going to name some of my embarrassing loves from the past. As a young kid, okay, that's a lie, as a young teenager, I collected ceramic pigs. Yes, little ceramic pigs doing all kinds of different things. In some ways, I would say this should have made my family know I was gay, but I'm not even sure this is gay as much as crazy. I also once liked Creed. I know this will hurt my friend Jaclyn's heart, but I seriously did. I rocked out to them. I'm sorry.

Who should play you in your bio-pic?

This is a tough one, but I am going to go with Ryan Gosling. We are close to the same age and when he has his hair buzzed short like mine we look slightly similar. I think he could pull off my craziness and maybe win himself an oscar.

Thanks for reading!

-Stephen (Q&A w/self)

3 comments:

  1. Stephen, that does hurt my heart! AHHHHHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed! Love hearing about someone else's kinky self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sex-with-favorite-poet questions, although it's a real tough one to answer. I think your answer is pretty good. It's almost a complete short story! Fodder for a poem, maybe.

    Although for myself I might have picked Lorca. Although I fantasized once or twice about Harold Norse, back in the day; he wrote some of the most erotic poems. . . .

    ReplyDelete