Tuesday, November 1, 2011

It's November!

It is hard to believe that 2011 is heading to its close. It is already November and while I absolutely love October and Halloween (as you can see from the picture), I've always had a soft spot for November. This is probably because it is my birth month and who doesn't like a month where you can make people be nice to you and buy you things and eat cake?

This November is special because it is not only my birthday, but I'm also about to complete a huge challenge that I set myself up for a few months ago. Last summer, Dustin and I decided to register for the Smart Ride, which is a 165 mile bike ride from Miami to Key West. It raises money for those living with or affected by HIV/AIDS. The ride is November 18th and 19th.

It is one thing to sign up for a ride and another to properly prepare for it. I have to say I am very pleased with Dustin and myself. We've being seriously preparing and working hard and we have both raised the required $1250.00. I am still taking donations. I would love to get to $1500.00 and I have about $150 to go. If you would like to help out, you can donate by going to this link.

Completing this ride means a lot to me. This is a cause I truly care about and the ride also represents a personal challenge to myself. I've never been a big athletic person, so doing this ride has made me go outside my comfort zone, which is something we all need to do sometimes. It's been a rewarding experience so far and I can't want to actually do the ride.

I do have a pretty good reward at the end. We will be staying in Key West for a few days and will be there on my birthday. This year I turn 29 and I honestly can't wait for the next year of my life. I have a lot of big plans and goals and I want to make my last year of my 20s the best one yet.

Here's to a great November!

-Stephen (28 going on 29)

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Stephen (& Dustin):
    As a PWA, I want to thank you for your hard work and efforts! Raising money these days isn't an easy task, and I'm afraid that sometimes our 'community' (especially those under the age of 25-30) forget the importance of the fight against HIV/AIDS. With new 'remedies' that some think make this dreadful disease 'manageable'--therefore not something to worry about--those of us who are "long-timers" and fought from the beginning for treatments and decent care no longer seem relevant. We're in a class of our own, often forgotten or merely pitied. So thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for keeping the fires burning, as they say. What you're doing is important...for ALL of us. Ride safe and ride hard for those of us who can't anymore.
    Always, and with great appreciation, Chuck XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ride sounds like a great one, both as a cause and an experience. I can imagine riding the Seven Mile Bridge would be quite the ecstatic experience, for example.

    Happy (early) Birthday, as well. (My mom's birthday was Nov. 21, and even though she's passed over, I still like to buy a yellow rose for her on her birthday, her favorite color.)

    ReplyDelete