Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My Book Cover

A few weeks ago, I wrote a blog post about my search for cover art for my upcoming first book of poems. For me, the process of deciding a cover was complicated and required a lot of time staring at images on my computer screen. In the post, I mentioned how lucky I am to be working with a press that gave me final approval on the cover. They were great to work with and very willing to listen to my ideas and my criticism of the various covers placed before me.

In some ways, I had a clear image in my head that I was having difficulty communicating. I wanted something a little edgy and a little unsettling. I also quickly found myself drawn to using a mouth on the cover. The title of the book has "voices" in it and the idea of having an image that showcased the mouth more prominently than anything else struck me as the right move.

The final result is the image to the right and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. This is my first book of poems and it's very personal to me and this image feels just right for these poems. Of course, I'm sure some won't like it. It's sort of like naming your child. Everyone has an opinion about the name you selected, but I'm happy with my choice.

I thought I would officially release the image here, before people saw it on promotional materials. Today marks the four month countdown to the release of He Do the Gay Man in Different Voices. I can't wait for you all to read it.

-Stephen (Cover)

7 comments:

  1. It looks so good! I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks V! I appreciate your support! Actually, without you sending me that documentary poetics syllabus, this book wouldn't have happened, at least not in the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. really a great cover! so excited for you, and can't wait to read this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the smear of blood on his lip. Evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cover turned out really great, congratulations! :)
    - Shaun Lindow Illustration
    http://www.ShaunLindow.com

    ReplyDelete