Saturday, December 31, 2011

12 for 12

Today's the end of the year. In fact, I only have nine hours before the year goes up one. In a few hours I'll be heading out to my favorite gay club to ring in the new year with my partner, friends, and Tiffany (the 80's pop star). The weather is beautiful in Orlando today (currently 78 degrees) and tonight will be a great time I'm sure. But before the drinking starts and the partying, I wanted to sit down and set my goals for the coming year.

As I've stated in other posts, I don't use the word resolution. I say "goal." I can't predict the future. I don't know what 2012 holds. I do know that I can set goals and work hard to achieve them in the coming year and that's exactly what I'm doing today.

Here are my 12 goals for 2012:

1. Read the 30 books on my 2012 reading list. I'll be posting my list on my blog tomorrow, so stay tuned.

2. Work to complete a second poetry book manuscript. I have a start and some strong ideas. I'm going to be devoting my writing time in 2012 to exploring it and seeing where it takes me.

3. Write a short story. I haven't written fiction in a long time and would like to complete one short story in 2012. I have an idea, so I'll see what happens.

4. Cycling. I want to keep up with my cycling. I've really enjoyed taking spinning classes this past year and I enjoyed completing my first long-distance bike ride. I want to keep it up.

5. Continue doing interviews with poets on my blog. I won't probably be doing them every month, but I greatly enjoyed the process in 2011 and want to keep going. The interviews in 2012 will not be limited to emerging GLBT poets. I want to explore poets of all kinds.

6. Waste less time on the Internet. This is a goal we probably should all have. I know in the last year, I've had endless hours eaten up by Facebook, Twitter, and various other websites. I need to get better at going offline and focusing just on writing and reading.

7. Make new friends. I'm putting this on my list because I'm spending a lot of time in the beginning of the year traveling. I'll be in Chicago for AWP, in NYC for the Rainbow Book Fair, and then in Atlanta for a reading. I'm looking forward to meeting many people (many I've interacted with online for years, but haven't met face to face). I'll also be looking for new faces.

8. Write a critical essay and try to get it published. This was on my list last year and I didn't make it happen, so I'm putting it on here again.

9. Save money. Pay down debt. Not much more to say about this one.

10. Be less hard on myself and more willing to relax and enjoy the moment. I have some exciting things happening to me in 2012 and I want to enjoy them to the fullest. I'm looking to make my anxiety take a backseat position in my life.

11. Get a tattoo. I'm terrified of pain, but I've always had a desire to get a tattoo and I think I've finally come up with something that I want. I figure it's good to get your first tattoo before you turn 30. My time is running out.

12. Be living in New York City by the end of the year. Yes, this is my biggest goal of the year and one that I've put a lot of thought into and decided with my partner a few months ago. Much more on this in the coming months.

I wish you all a Happy New Year!

(Extra happiness to anyone who got the AbFab reference in this post)

-Stephen (Goalie)

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! Great list! And get your tattoo!!! They're addictive!
    Looking forward to meeting you in March, Stephen.
    The best to you, always,
    Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year sir! You CAN certainly accomplish these things and I'm cheering for you. Let me know when encouragement or anything is needed. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete