Sunday, December 18, 2011

2011: 43 Books Read

I've always been a big reader and I'm a firm believer that reading is key to being a successful writer. I've spent a good portion of my life in school. I went from high school straight to college and then straight to graduate school. During these years I read plenty and had a clear way to account for that reading. Since leaving grad school, I've read, but I haven't done a good job of keeping track of what I've read.

In 2011, I made an effort to change that. I made a reading list of books I wanted to read (29 of them). I read most of them. I also read a lot of books not on the list. In the end I read 43 books between mid-December last year and mid-December this year. I think this is pretty good for having a full-time job and spending a lot of my free time on my own writing and poetry career. I enjoyed keeping a clear list of the books I read and I thought I'd share it here on my blog.

Here are the books I spent my year reading. What did you read?

1. What Other Choice by Jeremy Halinen

2. The Book of Frank by CAConrad

3. Slut Machine by Shane Allison

4. Handmade Love by Julie R. Enszer

5. Museum of False Starts by Chip Livingston

6. Pleasure by Brian Teare

7. The Salt Ecstasies by James L. White

8. Come on All You Ghosts by Matthew Zapruder

9. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

10. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

11. Talking About Movies with Jesus by David Kirby

12. I Have to Go Back to 1994 and Kill and Girl by Karyna McGlynn

13. The Captain Asks for a Show of Hands by Nick Flynn

14. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

15. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon

16. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

17. Road Work Ahead by Raymond Luczak

18. Inheritance by Steven Reigns

19. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

20. The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith

21. Blood Almanac by Sandy Longhorn

22. As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

23. Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates

24. Boy with Flowers by Ely Shipley

25. Closer by Christopher Stephen Soden

26. Slow to Burn by Collin Kelley

27. A Fast Life: The Collected Poems of Time Dlugos edited by David Trinidad

28. A History of the World in 10 ½ Chapters by Julian Barnes

29. Dancer from the Dance by Andrew Holleran

30. The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta

31. Dear Prudence: New and Selected Poems by David Trinidad

32. Child of God by Cormac McCarthy

33. The Great Fires by Jack Gilbert

34. Beloved by Toni Morrison

35. The Best of It by Kay Ryan

36. The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

37. The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

38. The Weary World Rejoices by Steve Fellner

39. Fat Girl by Jessie Carty

40. When the Only Light is Fire by Saeed Jones

41. Sonics in Warholia by Megan Volpert

42. Collective Brightness edited by Kevin Simmonds

43. Nox by Anne Carson

-Stephen (Reader)

No comments:

Post a Comment