Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 Reading List

I turn 30 this year, so I've made my 2012 reading list 30 titles long. These are the books I want to make sure I read in the new year. I did this last year and I really enjoyed having the list as a goal. It also made me read a few books I'd been meaning to for quite some time. I will, of course, read other books as well. I limited my list to novels and larger poetry books (mostly collected poems).

I tried to have a range of titles on the list. Some are classic novels that I've never read (like Lord of the Flies and 1984). Others are newer books or books highly recommended by my friends.

I'm posting my list, so you can see the titles I picked. It might also encourage you to make your own list.

1 Lord of the Flies by William Golding

2. 1984 by George Orwell

3. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

4. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey

5. Go Tell it on the Mountain by James Baldwin

6. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

7. Orlando by Virginia Woolf

8. Light in August by William Faulkner

9. Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov

10. A Passage to India by E.M. Forster

11. Midnight’s Children by Salman Rushdie

12. Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

13. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert

14. The Secret History by Donna Tartt

15. 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

16. We the Animals by Justin Torres

17. 11/22/63 by Stephen King

18. The Submission by Amy Waldman

19. The Broom of the System by David Foster Wallace

20. As Meat Loves Salt by Maria McCann

21. A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

22. A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

23. A Monster’s Notes by Laurie Sheck

24. Assumption by Percival Everett

25. The Complete Poems: Anne Sexton by Anne Sexton

26. The Collected Poems by Sylvia Plath

27. Poems by Elizabeth Bishop

28. Stanzas in Meditation by Gertrude Stein

29. Birthday Letters: Poems by Ted Hughes

30. The Complete Poems of Hart Crane by Hart Crane

-Stephen (Reading)

2 comments:

  1. I love Invisible Man, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and 1984. It's been ten years since I've read any of those books. Can't wait to hear your thoughts. I should re-read them. I need to read some more DFW this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your reading program. Some good stuff to look forward to. I'll probably read one or two of these for the first time this year, too.

    "Birthday Letters" is fun and campy. I wrote about it some on my blog.

    ReplyDelete