Thursday, April 12, 2012

Poems I'd Save from the Fire: Her My Body by Bob Hicok

During National Poetry Month, I'm running a short series highlighting poems I love and would save from a fire. This is my second post in the series and today I'm writing about Bob Hicok's poem "Her My Body" (it's the second poem on this page).

I picked this poem partly because I was recently reminded how much I love Bob Hicok's work. I first read him a few years ago and his poems immediately connected with me. He has such a unique and interesting voice and I love how he flows and moves through a poem. His poems often go in places you don't expect. I got to thinking about Hicok because we were both published in the new issue of Quarterly West.

When I think of him, I always go back to this poem. It is from his 2007 book This Clumsy Living, which was the first book of his I read. What is so great about this poem is that he captures the jumping around of the mind when something unfamiliar or odd happens in our life (in this case, his wife's nipple feels funny). This is not a typical topic for many straight male poets, which is partly what makes Hicok's work so interesting. Check out this poem and read more of his work. You won't be disappointed.

-Stephen (Fireman)

No comments:

Post a Comment