Monday, October 1, 2012

Poetry News Update

It's hard to believe it's October 1st. October is one of my favorite months of the year. This coming weekend is Pride here in Orlando, which is always fun. I'm also a big Halloween fan and pretty much love all things pumpkin flavored. I've already made two pumpkin pies. This October will be a busy and challenging one. I'm in the process of some big life changes, which I'll post more about in the coming weeks.

I wanted to take this opportunity to share a few exciting pieces of news related to the poetry world. These are things I've tweeted about or facebooked about, but have yet to record here.

1. A few weeks ago, I was shocked to find out that my book, He Do the Gay Man in Different Voices, was on the contemporary poetry best sellers list for the week of August 26th. I was number 24 and pretty much every other person on the list was a very recognizable name in poetry. This was truly an amazing moment for me and my book. It's been out since March and it's thrilling to see people continue to buy it and enjoy it. I'm thankful for all the support.

2. A few months ago, I was asked to be poetry editor for a new literary magazine called Animal. The first issue launched today. Each month we are publishing one essay, one story, and one poem. My job has been rather difficult, because we've received more poetry submissions than any other genre. It's been a fun experience so far, so please check out our first issue and consider submitting in the future.

3. I have new work in the anthology Among the Leaves: Queer Male Poets on the Midwestern Experience. This anthology officially released today from Squares and Rebels. I'm honored to be one of the eighteen poets in the book. Raymond Luczak edited the collection and it's truly remarkable.

Thanks for reading and happy October!

-Stephen (In the Leaves)

No comments:

Post a Comment