Saturday, December 29, 2012

What I Read in 2012

I've spent the last few years tracking what I read throughout the year. I do this simply by keeping a Word document where I enter each read book. I've enjoyed doing this for a few reasons. It can be interesting to keep track of when you've read particular pieces. We often view a book based on our current state. I like to know that in 2010 I read this book and in 2011 that one. It has also helped motive me to read more. I get a little rush when I add one more book to the list.

2012 was a busy year. It started off with the launch of my own book, He Do the Gay Man in Different Voices, and ended with my move to New York City. Working full time, promoting a new book, planning a big move, and working on a new poetry manuscript took up a lot of my time, but I tried my best to make time for reading.

This year I read 35 books. I'm sure for some of you this is not very many, but overall I'm pleased with the number. It's a bit less than last year, but that's understandable. I hope to read more next year and I think I will.

Here's the books I spent the year reading:


1.     A Radiance Like Wind or Water by Richard Ronan
2.     We the Animals by Justin Torres
3.     God Bless by H. L. Hix
4.     1984 by George Orwell
5.     The Collected Poems by Sylvia Plath
6.     Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes
7.     Night Wraps the Sky: Writings by and about Mayakovsky edited by Michael Almereyda
8.     Love-in-Idleness by Christopher Hennessy
9.     Then, We Were Still Living by Michael Klein
10.  Burnings by Ocean Vuong
11.  Self-evident by Scott Hightower
12.  Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
13.  The Buoyancy of it All by Robert Walker
14.  Skin Shift by Matthew Hittinger
15.  Home by Toni Morrison
16.  Tiresias: The Collected Poems of Leland Hickman edited by Stephen Motika
17.  Slow Lightning by Eduardo C. Corral
18.  The Submission by Amy Waldman
19.  Lord of the Flies by William Golding
20.  Selected Poems: 1957-1994 by Ted Hughes
21.  Aim for the Head: An Anthology of Zombie Poetry edited by Rob Sturma
22.  Among the Leaves: Queer Males Poets on the Midwestern Experience edited by Raymond Lucak
23.  When We Become Weavers: Queer Female Poets on the Midwestern Experience edited by Kate Lynn Hubbard
24.  One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey
25.  Mayakovsky’s Revolver by Matthew Dickman
26.  The Secret History by Donna Tartt
27.  Native Guard by Natasha Trethewey
28.  Assumption by Percival Everett
29.  Other Flowers: Uncollected Poems by James Schuyler
30.  After Dayton by C.S. Carrier
31.  State of the Union: 50 Political Poems edited by Joshua Beckman & Matthew Zapruder
32.  Blood Dazzler by Patricia Smith
33.  Vandals by Alan Michael Parker
34.  The School Among the Ruins by Adrienne Rich
35.  The Waves by Virginia Woolf

-Stephen (Reader)

No comments:

Post a Comment