Thursday, January 17, 2013

Gearing Up for 2013

For the last couple of years, I've made goals for the coming year. These aren't resolutions, but things I truly want to accomplish. I've been fairly successful in meeting these goals. Last year, I made twelve and successfully completed about half of them, but I give myself extra points for doing the hardest goal I set (moving to NYC).

January is half over, but there's always time to set new goals. I've been thinking a lot about the coming year. 2013 will be my first year in New York and it's time to reevaluate what I want to achieve in life. I've spent a lot of the last few years living in sort of limbo. I knew I wasn't where I wanted to be and I was often looking to the future. The future is now and I want 2013 to be a truly amazing year that pushes and challenges me.

Here are my goals for the year:

1. Read 50 books. Instead of picking specific titles to read, this year I'm challenging myself to read 50 books by the end of the year. I set the challenge on Good Reads, which keeps track of it all for me. So far, I'm off to a great start. New York has truly inspired me to read more and more. I love having so many great bookstores nearby and currently I have more free time than I did in Orlando.

2. Write three non-fiction essays. I'm wanting to get back into writing creative non-fiction. I completed one essay in 2012, which will be getting published in the coming year. I want to keep this going.

3. Do more poetry readings. New York is full of writers and poets and literary events. I want to take advantage of this as much as possible. This goal is off to a good start because I have two readings already scheduled.

4. Find a job(s) I truly enjoy. The biggest struggle of my adult life has been finding good jobs. It's been my biggest stress. This is partly because I'm very hard on myself and have, at times, had a very narrow vision of what I want in a career. New York is offering me many different options and I'm currently trying to figure out a path that works for me. Our futures don't always turn out like we imagined and sometimes we have to create new futures. That's what I'm trying to do. By the end of 2013, I want to feel more satisfied in my job choices.

5. Explore New York as much as possible. This isn't very hard, but I want to make sure I keep exploring and finding new things as I settle in here. Dustin and I are pretty good at this, so I'm not very concerned. We've already experienced a lot and we're loving the city.

6. Blog more. 2012 wasn't a great year for my blog. I didn't do nearly as much as I have in the past. I want to keep it up and review more titles and do a few poet interviews.

7. Continue to pay down debt. This is always a goal and this year it should be easier to accomplish.

8. Make new friends and keep in touch with old friends. The hardest part of moving to NYC was leaving so many good friends in Orlando. I want to find new friends here in the city, but also make sure to take the time to stay connected with my friends in Florida.

9. Work on my new poetry project. I've had an idea for a new project for awhile now and I want to get it started in 2013. It's a very different idea from what I normally write (less personal and more historical). I'll also be finishing up my second poetry manuscript, which is almost done.

10. Volunteer. I'd like to challenge myself to give back more in the coming year. NYC is full of opportunities to do this and I want to push myself in that direction.

Like every year, I want to be a better version of myself. I'm hard on myself (sometimes to a fault), but I want to get as much out of this new start as I can.

Here's to a good year!

-Stephen (Push)

No comments:

Post a Comment