Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Next Step(s)

It's hard to believe I've been in New York for seven months already. And what a seven months it has been. I've been thrilled by all the opportunities the city has already offered me and I'm looking forward to all that is to come.

On June 1st, I'll be reading once again at the Bureau of General Services-Queer Division as part of the Lambda Literary Award Finalists reading. It starts at 7 PM and will include readings by a wide range of writers. Please come by and hear some great literature.

On June 3rd, I'll be attending the Lambda Literary Awards (reception, awards, and after-party). I'm very excited for the event and honored to be a finalist. I've already purchased an outfit, so get ready. I have some pretty amazing new pants. In many ways, this night will be a closing to my first book journey. The book will go on and I'll still read from it and people will still buy it (I hope), but it feels like one last big party for the success of the book before I move on to other projects. On June 3rd, I'll be celebrating the hard work that went into that first book and enjoying the night. Of course, winning would be great. I feel I'm a bit of the underdog in the category since I'm the youngest and from the smallest press. We will see what happens.

On July 30th, I'm extremely thrilled to be reading in Bryant Park as part of the Word for Word Reading Series. I'll be joined by Bryan Borland, Seth Pennington, Collin Kelley, D. Gilson, Matthew Hittinger, and Joanna Hoffman. That's a pretty amazing line-up. If you've not come to hear me read before, come to this one. 

In other news, I just signed my second book contract with Sibling Rivalry Press. My second poetry collection, A History of the Unmarried, will be released in September of 2014. I'm extremely pleased to continue working with SRP. I'm lucky to have a press that is so supportive, organized, and collaborative. I feel like I'm part of something truly unique. I'm also lucky to be surrounded by such talented people. I'm truly a fan of so many SRP writers and I'm honored anytime I can read along side them.

I've also got a few other projects in the works. I've been working on some narrative essays and I'm already working on a third poetry collection, which is going to be extremely different from my other books. My new book project is a novel in verse and is still in the early stages of development. I've done a lot of research for it and I've drafted a few of the poems. I'll write more about it in future posts.

The last few months have felt like a reboot for me. I feel more alive and more myself here in the city. That paired with all of the great news for my writing and I've had a pretty amazing time. I gave up a salary job that paid fairly well to come here and while I'm not making tons of money, I'm happier than I've been in a long time.

-Stephen (Honored)

No comments:

Post a Comment