Monday, December 23, 2013

A Year in Writing

2013 has been one of the best years of my life (especially in the writing department). My first book came out nearly two years ago (in March of 2012), but it hit new heights in 2013 when it was named a finalist for the Thom Gunn Poetry Award and won the Lambda Literary Award for Gay Poetry in June. I did more poetry readings in the last year than any other year of my life (including getting to read in Bryant Park), but I also kept up with writing new work.

Over the last year, I spent a lot of time on my second book, A History of the Unmarried, which will be released in September of 2014 by Sibling Rivalry Press. Just a few weeks ago I submitted my first draft of the book. I also devoted more time in 2013 to writing essays, which was one of my goals. I also had quite a few new poems get printed in online and print magazines (and more coming very soon in 2014).

Here are some of my favorite pieces that got published in 2013:

1. "Tonight I Dream of January Jones in a Supermarket in Florida," Hobble Creek Review

This is from my new book manuscript and was also nominated by Hobble Creek Review for a Pushcart Prize.

2. "ABC's Scandal: A Non-Guilty Pleasure," Hidden Track

Two months ago, I began writing pop culture pieces for an online magazine. My favorite piece so far was one on the insane, but addictive show Scandal

3. This assignment is so gay: LGBTIQ Poets on the Art of Teaching, Sibling Rivalry Press

In August, a great new anthology came out from Sibling Rivalry Press that I'm extremely honored to be part of. I have two poems in the collection, but the whole book is worth reading from cover to cover (which is rare for an anthology).

4.  "The Long Engagement," Joe's Jacket

I published this piece myself here on my blog, but it is a piece that means a lot to me. In September I married my partner of ten years, and this piece is a reflection on my views on marriage and my journey with my partner.

5. "Surviving a For-Profit School," The Rumpus

In July I had an essay published in The Rumpus on my experience working at a for-profit school. This piece is the one I am most proud of from the last year. It was difficult to write and is about a very difficult period of my life. When the piece got published, I received a really amazing response from so many people who had also experienced for-profit education. It felt good to tell the truth about a situation that is happening in our education system. It also gave me some peace with my experience at that school. 

-Stephen (Writing)

No comments:

Post a Comment